Tuesday, August 30, 2005

T minus 9

After a leisurely afternoon spent reading my eighth grade Literature textbook (highly recommended - couldn't put it down - just wait until you see how it ends,) it started to sink in.

It hit a little harder when, this morning, I caught a friend making out a list of classroom rules.

Finally, this afternoon, as I crouched in an empty shell classroom - all blank bulletin boards, bare bookshelves, and expectant desks - there was no more denying it:

Next Thursday is the first day of school.

And I am going to stand in front of a list of rules (yet to be written) and give out some assignment (yet to be developed) and hope against hope that forty-eight young people (whom I've yet to meet) decide to follow me to June.

And that afternoon, some kid is going to go home and sit at his kitchen table and say something off-hand about "my English teacher" and he's going to mean me.

This is scary stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Free Counter